- Hundreds of people in small rowing boats protested in front of Venice’s St Mark’s Square on Sunday to denounce what they say is a proliferation of motor boats that have crowded the waters of the lagoon city.
- The protesters also took aim at the giant cruise ships that regularly sail close to Venice, a Unesco World Heritage site that has come under increasing strain from rising waters.
- Beloved around the world for its canals, historic architecture and art, Venice suffered a record string of floods in November.
- Boat protestors in Venice take on damage from big ships (Reuters: Jan 19, 2020 at 2:05 PM)
- Boat protesters in Venice take on damage from big ships (Business Insider: Jan 19, 2020 at 12:00 AM)