‘Brain-eating’ amoeba in Texas city’s water supply kills 6-year-old

Live Science | Sep 28, 2020 at 8:20 PM
  • A “brain-eating” amoeba has been found in the water supply of a Texas city where a 6-year-old boy recently died from an infection with the organism.
  • The boy, Josiah McIntyre, who lived in Lake Jackson, a city near Houston, Texas, died on Sept. 8 of a rare infection with the amoeba, known as Naegleria fowleri.
  • Officials tested 11 samples from Lake Jackson’s water supply, and found that three were “preliminary positive,” including samples from a city fire hydrant, the splash pad storage tank and Josiah’s home water hose faucet, the Times reported.