Minsk analyzing losses from Russia’s contaminated oil supplies to the country, says Belneftekhim

TASS Russian News Agency | Apr 23, 2019 at 9:38 AM

MOZYR /Gomel region/, April 23. /TASS/. The Belarusian side is analyzing the scale of losses from Russia’s supplies of crude oil with excessive content of chlororganic compounds to the country, Deputy Chairman of the Belarusian petrochemical company Belneftekhim Vladimir Sizov told reporters on Tuesday.

"So far the damage inflicted to the equipment is being analyzed. Moreover, apart from obvious issues, such as fouling of heat transfer equipment, the interior of pipelines may only be estimated after thorough repairs. Which is why the whole block is technically documented with the involvement of independent experts, the Belarusian Chamber of Commerce and Industry so that the whole required set of facts will be there for future claim settlement," he explained.

According to Sizov, the situation is changing fast and the scale of what happened is unclear yet.

On April 19, the Belarusian company reported a sharp deterioration of the quality of the Russian oil running through the Gomeltransneft Druzhba main oil pipeline. The company informed operators of the Druzhba oil pipeline from other countries about the recent developments. Belneftekhim’s management claimed that Minsk intended to seek compensation from Russia's Transneft for supplies of poor-quality oil. Deputy Prime Minister Igor Lyashenko said the representatives of the two countries would meet on April 23 to discuss issues related to the situation around Russian oil supplies.