- Pope Francis said on Friday (14 June) that carbon pricing is “essential” to stem global warming – his clearest statement yet in support of penalising polluters – and appealed to climate change deniers to listen to science.
- Carbon pricing, via taxes or emissions trading schemes, is used by many governments to make energy consumers pay for the costs of using the fossil fuels that contribute to global warming, and to spur investment in low-carbon technology.
- Discussion of climate change and energy transition must be rooted in “the best scientific research available today”.
- Carbon pricing "essential" to stem global warming, pope tells energy leaders (Reuters: Jun 14, 2019 at 12:30 PM)
- Pope backs carbon pricing to stem global warming and appeals to deniers (Reuters: Jun 14, 2019 at 3:27 PM)