- The German government has come under pressure to abandon its balanced budget goal and finance more fiscal stimulus with new debt.
- In light of the weakening economy, rock-bottom borrowing costs and additional policy challenges such as fighting climate change, the balanced budget goal has come under fire.
- For 2020, budget experts currently estimate that the federal government could take on new debt of nearly 5 billion euros (4.6 billion pounds) if the balanced budget goal were ditched.
- Factbox: 'Debt brake', 'black zero' - Germany's fiscal rules under scrutiny (Investing.com: Aug 15, 2019 at 12:00 AM)
- 'Debt brake', 'black zero': Germany's fiscal rules under scrutiny (Reuters: Aug 15, 2019 at 4:35 PM)