- The leader of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s conservatives sharply criticised attempts by the Social Democrats (SPD) to push their ruling coalition to the left, accusing her partners of thinking of themselves more than Germany.
- The two parties will decide in the next few weeks whether the centrist alliance has a future after the SPD chose a more leftist leadership duo.
- Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, a Merkel protege and head of her conservative Christian Democrats (CDU), attacked the SPD for failing to make clear its commitment to the coalition, though she stopped short of ruling out all their demands.
- Merkel's party blasts SPD before coalition talks (Reuters: Dec 8, 2019 at 1:25 PM)
- Merkel's party blasts SPD before coalition talks (Channel NewsAsia: Dec 8, 2019 at 1:45 PM)